How to show you don’t understand how breastfeeding works or what not to say to a breastfeeding mother.
Avoid these 10 unhelpful things that people often do say and which may be damaging, particularly when a mother is still struggling to learn how to breastfeed.
- Is she feeding again?
- She’s using you as a dummy.
- Let me give the baby a bottle so you can get some housework done.
- You will wear yourself out, let daddy give her a bottle.
- Don’t keep picking her up every time she cries.
- Don’t let her fall asleep at the breast—she’ll never learn to do it by herself.
- I think she has a tongue-tie.
- Shouldn’t she get used to having a bottle?
- I’d prefer you not to breastfeed in public.
- Mothers in our family have never been able to make enough milk.
And the acceptable alternatives? See the next post here.
Photo credit: Amber Jones At First Sight Birth Photography